Monday, January 16, 2012

Hey, hey, hey, 2012!

So strange that it is 2012... I specifically remember predicting in 2nd grade that in the year 2000 we would have flying cars and robots that cleaned our rooms for us. Well... I'm still waiting for both...

I tell myself at the start of each new year that I will not be making new years resolutions, because they typically fizzle out after a month or two. However, mentally, I come up with a list of things I would like to accomplish in the next 365 days, yet tell myself that it is not the same as a resolution. Because its not. Its waaaay different....

One of the items on my non-resolution list, is to be more organized. It is not in my nature to be neat, tidy, and have everything in its place. (if you have ever been to my house, this isn't a shocker) With that said, the older I get, the more I notice that I am becoming my mother. She is a total neat freak (if you've met her, this also isn't a shocker) and growing up, I thought it was totally lame that I had to clean up after myself. Since our house was literally ALWAYS clean (with the exception of my room and any place I was responsible for cleaning) I was completely unaware of just how gross a house can get. And how quickly it can happen!!

So after over two years of married life, kids, and general chaos, I am taking charge! I am making a list! I've been searching the internet for advice on weekly cleaning, to keep the overall mess at bay (because again, this does not come natural to me, but a girl can fake it!) I narrowed it down to a list of six chores, one for each day, not including sunday (hey, God rested, so can I). And because I can't just write it down on a scrap piece of paper, I had to come up with a creative way to display it and hold myself accountable.



In case you can't read it, the list goes as follows:

Monday- clean the bathroom
Tuesday- sweep & mop all floors
Wednesday- dust
Thursday- wipe down all kitchen counters (and under everything on counters)
Friday- wash windows
Saturday- wash all bedding and wipe down laundry area
Sunday- rest (something tells me this will be my favorite day)

I figure I covered all the basics, other than the day to day picking up. I'm really hoping I stick with this! So if you come over to my house, look and see what day it is... go ahead and ask if I did my chore! 

Yes. The bathroom is all clean. Even the tub. And the floor. Which is totally what I would skip when I had to clean the bathroom at my parents house. Why I thought being sneaky was a smart move, I'm not sure. Because really, they didn't have to shower in there. I did. Joke was on me. 

Happy cleaning!



No comments:

Post a Comment